Comanche Code Talkers Inducted into OK Hall of Fame

From: Comanche Nation

Fourteen Comanche code talkers and two Medal of Honor recipients are among those inducted into the Oklahoma Military Hall of Fame on Nov. 11. The Comanches used their native language to keep Germans from understanding radio transmissions during World War II. They were honored posthumously during the ceremony. Nine other Oklahomans also were honored at the ceremony  Nov. 11 at the Gaylord Center at Oklahoma Christian University. Four of them also are deceased. Those selected for induction into the Oklahoma Military Hall of Fame are:
The Comanche Nation code talkers served in the U.S. Army 4th Signal Company, 4th Infantry Division during World War II. They used their Comanche language in radio transmissions that helped save the lives of thousands of Allied troops. They served in combat from the D-Day invasion of Normandy to the end of the World War II in Europe. The 14 Comanche code talkers who served in the European Theater are: Charles Joyce Chibitty, Haddon “Red” Codynah, Robert Holder; Forrest Kassanavoid, Wellington “Mike” Mihecoby, Perry “Taxi” Noyobad, Clifford Ototivo Sr., Simmons Parker, Melvin Permansu, Elgin Red Elk, Roderick Red Elk, Larry W. Saupitty, Morris “Sunrise” Tabbyyetchy and Willis Wood Yackeschi. Noyobad was awarded the Bronze Star and Purple Heart; Kassanavoid, Saupitty, Yackeschi and Roderick Red Elk were awarded the Purple Heart during the Korean War. Melvin Permansu and Roderick Red Elk received the Korean War Service Medal and United Nations Service Medal. In 1995, Chibitty, then 78, was honored as the last surviving World War II Comanche U.S. Army code talker in the Pentagon’s Hall of Heroes.

Staff Sgt. George G. Red Elk was born in Lawton. He enlisted in the U.S. Army in 1967 and served in Vietnam as a loader, gunner and tank commander with Company D, 1st Squadron, 11th Armored Cavalry Regiment. He received the Silver Star and Purple Heart for his actions on March 18, 1969, when his unit was conducting a sweep through a rubber plantation. Red Elk’s tank received rocket-propelled grenade fire, severely wounding his hand. He knocked out a second rocket-propelled grenade team and remained with his tank until he passed out. Red Elk also served in the Oklahoma Guard’s Battery A, 1st Battalion, 158th Field Artillery of the 45th Field Artillery Brigade. He was deployed to Saudi Arabia during Operations Desert Shield and Desert Storm.

Read more:

, , , , , ,

Comments are closed.